About First State Bank & Trust Company - Kansas
Site Map Contact First State Bank Home Page
Personal Banking Business Banking Trusts New Account Switch Kit About First State Bank & Trust Company Bank Online
Sign Up Demo Mortgage Application Online Our Bank LocationsLarnedOverland ParkPrattIukaATM Locations
First State Bank History

 

Founders of the bank up to 1900

F.D. LOWREY

FIRST PRESIDENT

F.D. Lowrey was the first President of First State Bank at the age of forty-one. Born as Fred Deming Lowrey on August 17, 1854, at Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, he moved to Larned, Kansas in 1880. F.D. Lowrey took up residence at 903 Toles. On February 18, 1883, he married Miss Edith M. Shallenberger, and they had four children - three sons and one daughter: Frederick Lewis, Ralph Deming, George Shallenberger, and Edith Helen (Mrs. D.E. Helen Burnett).

F.D. Lowrey gave some of his land to the City of Larned. That land joined the property of Peter B. Schnack, which is known today as the Schnack-Lowrey Park and contains the 4-H Building, the Boy Scout cabin, duck pond and softball field. The existing duck pond was originally the City Swimming Pool.

F.D. Lowrey served as President of First State Bank until 1899. During this time Mr. Lowrey was not employed by the Bank. He owned and operated a hardware store which he sold to Boyd and Getty in 1898 and moved to Kansas City. His business venture in Kansas City was not successful so, following the death of Timothy McCarthy in 1900, he was hired as Cashier at a salary of $50 per month. By 1907 that had been increased to $125 a month. One of the more trying times in existence of the First State Bank was the Panic of 1907. In one of his letters, Mr. Lowrey is quoted as saying, "We have more money on hand than we should need but we have to supply Burdett and Jetmore. They want $3,000 to $5,000 a week." In a letter to a friend on January 29, 1908, he commented that "These are awful times and everybody is short of money. I never saw such shortage of money since I have lived in Larned even in the old dry times. The trouble is people are scared and drew out money and are hiding it in the cellar or some other place." In 1912 while still working in the bank, F.D. received an extortion letter threatening to destroy the bank or injure him, his wife or son by use of nitroglycerin. The extortionist demanded $2,000 to be taken by F.D. Lowrey to his home to wait further instruction. Even though he was told not to, he informed the officials and a day marshall slept at the Lowrey home until the extortionist was captured two weeks later. The extortionist had a long criminal history and was wanted for murder in Florida.

Lowrey retired from First State Bank in 1917. On January 2, 1918 F.D. Lowrey died in his home in Larned at the age of 64.

L.A. CHOAT

L.A. Choat, at the age of 64, was one of the five original directors of First State Bank in 1896, and he served until 1909. He was elected Vice President of the bank on January 2, 1901 and served in that capacity until his death in 1909. Mr. Choat had been a 10% owner of the Rush State Bank formed four years later and then bought out by First State Bank. Mr. Choat and Mr. Lowrey were also stockholders of the Peoples Bank of Larned chartered in 1887, nine years prior. In November 1897 Mr. Choat bought the bank building at 502 Broadway.

Born in Indiana in 1832, he had an interest in cattle raising, and in the 1880's settled on a ranch near Burdett. After living there for awhile he moved to Larned.

He married Mary Armstrong in 1887. Mary was a widow who's husband had been murdered (shot in the back) while checking on his cattle west of Burdett. L. A. Choat had been on the posse looking for Mr. J.C. Armstrong's killer when he met his future wife. L.A. Choat died on April 8, 1909. Mr. Choat moved to Larned shortly before his death. His home was at 1120 Toles.

TIMOTHY MCCARTHY

Timothy McCarthy, the majority stockholder and managing officer, was elected the Cashier at First State Bank on June 27, 1896, at the age of sixty-one. He had prior banking experience having retired from the First National Bank in September of 1894. He served as Cashier until his death four years later on June 12, 1900. He also was on the bank's board of directors from 1896 to 1900.

Born in Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland in 1835, he immigrated to the U.S. at the age of 16. He lived in Boston before enlisting in the U.S. Army.

McCarthy arrived in Larned in 1870, and filed a 160-acre claim east of Larned in February 1872. He was one of the inhabitants who signed the title to the original townsite of Larned on December 2, 1873.

In 1874, McCarthy was granted a permit to sell liquor. Fifty-two people signed the petition requesting the permit. The licensed was renewed the following year, and the LARNED PRESS printed an advertisement on New Year's Day of 1875 proclaiming "Tim McCarthy as the proprietor of a billiard hall and saloon with the best of liquors and cigars always on hand."

McCarthy's investments were quite profitable for in 1875, only two years following the founding of Larned with its nine crude buildings perched on the bank of the Pawnee, McCarthy built a grand Victorian home, complete with cupola and a widow's walk at the southeast corner of Fourth and State Streets, an area later known as "Quality Hill." That same year McCarthy married Julia Seely of Knoxville, Pennsylvania. One year later, their daughter was born. The McCarthy family enjoyed a high standard of living in their luxurious home as evidence by the 1885 announcement in a local paper that "Miss Nora McCarthy is the proud possessor of a tricycle, the second in the city."

From 1873 to 1886 McCarthy served the county as commissioner and county clerk, and the city as mayor and postmaster.

 

H. M. HALLOWAY

H.M. Halloway was one of the original founders of the First State Bank at the age of thirty-seven, and served on the board of directors until January 4, 1904. In 1900, Halloway became the second President of First State Bank and held that position through 1903. He later returned to serve on the bank's board of directors in 1913, and continued on the board as well as serving as Vice President of the bank from 1921 until his death in 1948.

Born July 14, 1859, he came to Larned in 1882 from Pennsylvania to manage the Keystone Flour Mill. The Keystone Flour Mill was later sold to H.G. Gable and Sons in 1904, who in turn sold it in 1905 to the Stafford Company Mills. He was also a farmer and rancher until 1914, at which time he sold the land to the Larned State Hospital. Halloway worked in real estate and insurance until 1945.

He married Libbie DuMont, sister of Mrs. H.H. Reed and Mrs. E.E. Frizell, and was the father of Mabel Oroszy. Halloway's home was located at 905 Main. Halloway died June 26, 1948, at the age of eighty-eight.

EDWARD EVERETT FRIZELL

E.E. Frizell was one of the original directors when the bank opened in 1896 and he served as a director until 1914. He was the youngest of the five founders of First State Bank. He was elected Vice President on January 6, 1908, and then became President in 1911, with John E. Wagner as Cashier, W.D. Fox as Vice President, and H.M. Reed as Assistant Cashier. Mr. Frizell was active in many enterprises and served on the Kansas State Board of Agriculture, the Superintendent of the State Reformatory, and the President of the Kansas State Fair Board. He served in both the State Legislature and the Senate, as well as Mayor of Larned. Some years later his son, George, would also serve as mayor of Larned.

Mr. Frizell returned to farming in 1902, when he purchased a large tract of land that had once been a part of the Fort Larned Military Reservation. E.E. Frizell resided at 519 W. 4th Street in Larned. His wife was ElDora DuMont, a sister of Mrs. H.H. Reed and Mrs. H.M. Halloway. E.E. Frizell was the great grandfather of Judy Redding, who with her husband Clark, lives in what was the E.E. Frizell home.

Larned Businesses leading up to 1904

TURN OF THE CENTURY


At the turn of the century First State Bank was under new leadership with H.M. Halloway as President and F.D. Lowrey as Cashier. 1900 appeared to have been an important year for First State Bank. That year the majority stockholder Timothy McCarthy died, the bank moved and there were four new stockholders. Stock sales to these four plus additional sales to the original five raised the capital to $10,000.
A letter from the State Bank Commissioner dated April 7, 1900 reprimanded McCarthy for not holding at least four director's meetings a year as was the law. Minutes of those early meetings that were held do not disclose much of what was taking place.

On June 18, 1900, J. W. Rush reopened the old First National Bank at 5th & Broadway as the Rush State Bank, but it didn't last long. At a directors meeting of First State Bank on October 1, 1900, a communication was received from Mr. Rush inquiring about consolidating the Rush State Bank with First State Bank. In November 1900, the Rush State Bank was liquidated and sold to First State Bank. Serving on the First State Bank board of directors were E.E. Frizell, H.H. Reed, F.D. Lowrey, L.A. Choat, and H.M. Halloway. Mont Reed was made Assistant Cashier after Kittie Bright retired.

Late in the year 1900, the First State Bank moved to 502 Broadway. The date of the deed is December 3, 1900, from Edna S. Rush for $6,500 including furniture and fixtures. This building and consolidation made First State Bank one of the finest equipped banks in this part of the state and was expected to take rank among the leading banking institutions of the state. This building now houses the Larned Area Chamber of Commerce.

The Financial Statement of First State Bank on December 31, 1900 read as follows:

H.M. Halloway, President

F.D. Lowrey, Cashier

ASSETS

 

LIABILITIES

Loans

$39,397.81

  Deposits $89,986.66

Real Estate

2,000.00

     
Fixtures 1,333.00   Capital 10,000.00
Revenue Stamps 42.62   Surplus 1,000.00
Cash & Exchange 58,474.79   Profit & Loss 261.56
TOTAL $101,248.22   TOTAL $101,248.22

Board of Directors

F.D. Lowrey H.H. Reed E.E. Frizell
H.M. Halloway L.A. Choat  

Changes began to take place in the agricultural community including the introduction of new varieties of seed, and more sorghum grains joined wheat and corn as important crops. "Dry farming" was improved upon as farmers and scientist tried new ways to plow, plant, and conserve moisture. Drylands were supplemented by increasing acreage of irrigated land, watered with underground water. New engines run by gasoline began to pump water although the familiar windmills remained an important asset on irrigated lands.

Theodore Roosevelt visited Kansas twice in 1900. In September he had made thirty-one stops and thirty-one speeches in Kansas. That year Kansas could claim that they were the "original TR State" for the Kansas Republicans nominated him for Vice President.

In August of 1900, Terry Stafford of Topeka, Kansas, completed an automobile which was simply a buggy driven by a seven horsepower gasoline engine. By 1904 they were producing the Smith, Veracity Auto in quantity.

In 1901 President McKinley was inaugurated for a second term as President of the United States. That same year President McKinley was assassinated while attending the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York. Vice President Theodore Roosevelt succeeded to the presidency.

America's rule still extended beyond the borders to the volatile island of Cuba in 1901. Resentful of authority the island's countrymen staged numerous uprisings before they finally gained their independence in 1902.

It was between 1901 and 1910 that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office assigned a total of 315,193 patents to inventions ranging from aeroplanes to wax pencils dubbed "crayolas".

In 1902 Willis J. Bailey was elected governor of Kansas, and The State Normal School, now Fort Hays Kansas State College opened its doors.. The Manual Training School, now Kansas State College at Pittsburg, was begun in 1903.

A THRIVING BUSINESS COMMUNITY IN LARNED

Hopeful immigrants were also coming in record numbers to the land of wide open spaces in search of the "good life", and in 1903, Larned's population was at 1,533 citizens.

Some of the businesses in existence at this time included the Larned Machine Shops, with L. Fox as a proprietor. He did all kinds of repairing on short notice including horse shoeing, plow work and engine repair specialty. This business was located at the corner of 5th and Topeka Avenue.

I.D. Row was a wholesale and retail baker dealing in baker's goods, confectionery, tobacco, etc. Fine cakes were a specialty and there was also a good restaurant serving meals throughout the day. Everything was first class with I. D. Row.

Tom Hill was a dealer in fresh and smoked meats, poultry, game and fish. Phone 77 when you call his business.

Benjamin Gore was the real estate and collecting agent in Larned. He rented lands, collected rent, inspected lands, and paid taxes for non-residents as a specialty. To buy or sell anything Mr. Gore was the man to see and prompt returns were made and satisfaction was guaranteed.

R.B. Williams was the merchant tailor in the Wilson Block. Featuring a "distinctive dress" for men, women, and boys at a savings of 25 to 40 percent. All garments were tailored to measure. You could come in, select your goods, and give measure, then leave the fit and workmanship to the tailor. You couldn't lose.

Livery and Sale Stables were run by P.A. Baughman. Paying the highest price for good horses and mules.

The Larned Foundry and Machine Shop manufactured windmills, tanks, pumps, grinders, brass and iron castings, etc., as well as repairs on all kinds of machinery. It was owned by M.O. Whitmore.

The Opera House Hotel was owned by O.E. Reese with rates at $1.00 per day. The same rates could be found at the Farmer's Hotel run by J.K. Kinney. This was also the headquarters for farmers.

Larned's big department store was the New York Store managed by G. Krouch with special attention given to mail orders. Telephone No. 88.

E. Howland was a real estate agent with offices at Larned, Kansas and Ottawa, Illinois, featuring a large list of choice lands in Pawnee, Edwards and Hodgeman counties for sale at prices that defy competition. Collection of rents and breaking contracts were carefully looked after.

Misses E. and L. Rush were proprietors of the Larned Studio, located at the Phoenix Bank Building. You could get your photographs taken by them. Satisfaction was guaranteed.

J.G. Edwards was a real estate agent and collection agent making a specialty of renting lands, collecting rents, paying taxes and inspecting lands for non-residents.

Other fine businesses in Larned in 1903 included:

Wells House - Lydia Wells, Proprietor.

Young & Company - Dry goods and shoes.

Mansfield & Bedell - Real Estate Brokers.

M. M. Hanna - General Blacksmith.

Dr. F.S. O'Flying - Physician and Surgeon.

Johnson's Barber Shop

Funk's Barber Shop - C. Otto Funk, Proprietor.

Shull's New Livery Barn

Burgess Pulley - Dealer in junk.

Haag Brothers - Larned Bottling Works.

H. Porter - Druggist.

Taylor & Company - General Merchandise.

Boyd & Getty - Hardware. (Wes Getty was the father-in-law of Mont Reed.)

Ed. Frizell - Hardware and Implements. (Ed. Frizell was also a FSB director.)

A. A. Doerr - Hardware and Furniture.

Landon & Schnack - Clothing

H.H. Reed - Grocer

John Shaw - Liveryman

M.A.W. Jordan - General Merchandise.

Nelson Adams - Attorney -At-Law.

John Davis - Job Printer.

Frank Davis - Postmaster.

L. Ainsworth - Grocer.

S.T. Garth - Grocer.

J.B. Ingalls - M.D.

I.T. Tracy - Tailor.

Jas. Shadie - Tailor.

Mrs. Funk - Milliner.

C. Smith - Photographer.

E. Eggleston - Furniture.

Geo. Finney - Attorney-At-Law. (Geo. Finney later served as a FSB director.)

Tiller and Toiler - Harvey Eckert, Editor - Newspaper (Harvey Eckert was the father of Charles Eckert who served at FSB in various positions.)

The Chronoscope - Frank Davis, Editor - Newspaper

Alex Johnson - Proprietor, Elite Cafe.

R.G. Stoner - Jeweler.

J.H. Hurley - Carpenter.

H. Brown - Dealer in Poultry.

In 1903 the Wright Brothers made the first heavier than air flight and opened the world to air travel, making way for Kansas' aviation industry.

The State Capitol Building of Kansas was completed in 1903, and it was a proud addition to the state for the people of Kansas.

In 1904 - Roosevelt won 66% of the Kansas vote for President of the United States. Edward Hoch won the first of his two terms as governor. The St. Louis Exposition opened up and became a celebration for the strides technology was making.

H.H. Reed - World War I

H. H. Reed was the third President of First State Bank. He was born on June 21, 1851, in Buffalo Village, Pennsylvania. Henry H. had sold his grocery business in Cambridge, Ohio, to come west, and he along with his two brothers, James P. and Luther, moved to Pawnee County, Kansas in 1876.

He entered the grocery business at 421 Broadway in Larned in partnership with Wm. DuMont, where he made a specialty of beating all competitors prices on boots and shoes, while running a cash only store.

Elected as a director of First State Bank on October 1, 1900, he served in that position until 1935. Henry H. Reed became President of First State Bank on January 4, 1904 and continued until 1907. He served as Vice President from 1921 to 1935. He was a leader in Larned for over fifty-five years.

Henry H. Reed married Anna DuMont, sister of Mrs. E.E. Frizell and Mrs. H.M. Halloway, and lived at 923 Main where they raised five sons, H. Mont, A.E., Fred B., H. Leon, and Harry. H.H. Reed was the great grandfather of Reed A. Peters. Henry H. died on March 5, 1937, after living in Larned for 61 years.

1904 - 1910

In 1904, the United States began construction on the Panama Canal and continued on until 1914, when it was completed. In 1905, a $500,000 contract was let for construction in Garden City of a sugar beet factory. And Wichita became known as the "broom corn capital of the world."

The great fire and earthquake shook San Francisco in 1906.

The battleship, Kansas, was commissioned by the Navy in 1905, and Governor Hoch, a firm believer in prohibition, suggested that the ship be christened with Kansas Crude Oil and not champagne. Forgoing the Kansas Crude Oil, it was on August 12, that Hoch's daughter instead christened the battleship with Kansas Springwater and the vessel was launched. Even so, the U.S. Marines, believing that it was bad luck to christen the ship with water did not want to serve on the Kansas. To accommodate the marines, the captain brought on a bottle of champagne and had the ship rechristened.

By 1906, farmers in the western counties of Kansas were plowing 35 - 40 acres a day using steam tractors and pulling gang plows. Wheat acreage continued to increase because harvesting and threshing could be done more quickly.

In December of 1907, First State Bank encouraged every school boy and girl in Pawnee County to become the "business people of the future" by coming into the bank and receiving a free lead pencil with the bank's compliments. If the child couldn't come to town they were instructed to send in their parents with a written request signed by the child for the pencil.

CHARLES E. LOBDELL

Charles E. Lobdell was elected to the board in 1905 and served on the board for seven years. He was First State Bank's fourth President from 1908 through 1910.

Lobdell was born on September 21, 1861, in Osawatomie, Kansas. He became a lawyer and banker, and served as Butler County Attorney from 1885 to 1887. He was elected a State Representative in 1891 and held the speaker of the house position in 1895. While in Larned he also served as President of the Citizens State Bank in Jetmore and the First State Bank in Tribune. In October 1911, he resigned as Judge in the 33rd judicial district to accept the presidency of First National Bank in Great Bend, Kansas. In 1916, Mr. Lobdell was appointed by President Wilson to the Federal Land Bank Board, and later served as fiscal agent for the federal land and intermediate land banks. He resumed private practice in 1929.

Charles Lobdell died at the age of 87 on January 29, 1949, in Allendale, New Jersey. He had had a law firm Lobdell & Co., in New York City, but resided in West Orange, New Jersey prior to his death.

Mr. Lobdell built the home on the southwest corner of Fourth and State, where he lived for ten years.

During Charles E. Lobdell's Presidency at First State Bank, F.D. Lowrey was the Cashier. The other directors were E.E. Frizell, L.A. Choat, Geo. P. Baxter, H.H. Reed, Geo. W. Finney, W.D. Fox, F.D. Lowrey, and H.M. Reed.

Henry Ford introduced the Model T in 1908, and Stubbs was nominated for governor of Kansas for the first primary election, and ended up serving two terms. Stubbs was said to be one of Kansas' best governors.

In 1909 the legislature passed a bank guaranty law for the regulation of banks and the protection of the depositors.

Kansas was ranked fourth in salt production and mines by 1909, at Hutchinson, Lyons, and Kanopolis.

William Howard Taft became President in 1909. While in 1910, Theodore Roosevelt spoke at Osawatomie for the dedication of a memorial to John Brown.

In 1911, E.E. Frizell became First State Bank's fifth President and served in that position until 1914.

It was also in 1912, that an adoption of a state constitutional amendment gave Kansas women the right to vote. Kansas was the 8th state to extend full voting privileges to women.

In Kingman County, 1912, a farmer named Clyde Cessna built a monoplane which he named the Comet. For several years Cessna flew at fairs and celebrations but in the next decade he became a prominent manufacturer of aircraft.

In 1912, Governor Hodges was elected to one term to serve the state, while Woodrow Wilson was elected President and was inaugurated in 1913.

WORLD WAR I

World War I, the "War To End All Wars", began in Europe in 1914, and with it brought an increased demand for farm products, especially wheat. Consequently the Kansas Farmers saw a great rise in crop values. Wheat acreage rose from 6 million in 1913, to 9 million in 1914, and market value went up nearly $100,000,000 to $151,000,000.

When the German army crushed Belgium, Kansans quickly volunteered to help the Belgians. Farmers donated wheat, and the milling industry turned it into flour for free shipment to Belgium.

Women's organizations in Kansas worked for the Red Cross and European relief while church groups, civic clubs, and lodges all contributed time, money, and labor to a variety of wartime projects. They made bandages for military hospitals, and gathered clothing for children in France and Belgium, as well as gifts for servicemen. They also helped sell savings bonds.

Kansas bought far more savings bonds than their assigned quotas. They were asked to buy four "Liberty Loans" and one "Victory Loan".

The conservation of food for the war began with a national program of "meatless Tuesdays" and "Wheatless Wednesdays". Early in 1918, Monday was named "Wheatless Day" and Saturday "Porkless". Sugar and cornstarch were on the list to conserve.

In 1915, Arthur Capper was elected Governor of Kansas.

 

1933-1949

THE DUST BOWL HITS WESTERN KANSAS

By 1933 subsoil moisture in Kansas was exhausted, crops did not grow, and feed for livestock was scarce. In some areas, farmers were forced to use Russian thistles (tumbleweeds) to feed their livestock, and some gave up livestock production altogether. The dust began to blow, and for four years western Kansas was part of the Great Plains "dust bowl". Housewives used rugs and towels to seal door and window openings, but nothing kept the dirt from sifting in. It covered furniture in homes, desks in schools and offices, and merchandise in stores. In some cases it drifted around buildings and farm machinery like snow. This dust also aggravated respiratory illness and hampered all kinds of activities including travel.

1935 was the worst year for the "black blizzards". On March 15, "black Friday," a tremendous dust storm hit western Kansas. But even worse on April 10, at Hutchinson the dirt was mixed with a rain shower and it rained mud balls. At Goodland and Norton there was snow blowing with the dust which made conditions even worse. Trains were derailed between Scott City and Garden City because of so much dust drifted on the tracks. Near Deerfield, Kansas, crews had to work ahead of the trains to make sure the tracks were clear.

By 1940 heavy snows put moisture back into the soil and agriculture production once again rose.

The Financial Statement of First State Bank on
September 24, 1941:

ASSETS   LIABILITIES
Cash & Due from Banks $211,955.18   Deposits $1,160,323.47
U. S. Govt. & Muni Bonds $288,763.99  

Capital Accounts

Loans $801,160.93   Capital $100,000.00
Buildings & Fixtures $22,500.00   Surplus $42,000.00
Other Assets $11,455.00   Undivided Profits $33,511.63
TOTAL $1,335,835.10   TOTAL $1,335,835.10

Board of Directors

H.M. Reed H.L. Reed
H.M. Halloway Mark Krouch

WORLD WAR II BEGINS

Franklin D. Roosevelt was inaugurated for his second term as President in 1937.

On June 18, 1937, a crowd estimated at 2,500 attended the Moffet stadium dedication with Governor Walter Huxman giving the dedication address.

Work began December 13, 1937, on a new $350,000 criminal insane ward at the Larned State Hospital.

In 1938, a crowd estimated at 5,000 persons attended the birthday party at the city auditorium honoring the town's most interesting personality, Comrade Smith (Rinaldo R.), on his 86th birthday. Mr. Smith was a world traveler and photographer. His large collection of glass magic lantern slides is now at the Santa Fe Trail Center west of Larned.

By 1939, World War II had begun in Europe.

In 1940, President Roosevelt was elected for a third term. At that same time France surrendered to Germany's Nazis who were being lead by Hitler. On December 23, 1940, the 35th Division was called into active duty and it included 4,800 members of the Kansas National Guard.

The manufacturing of aircraft became an important part of World War II for Kansans. In 1940, there were approximately 1,200 aircraft workers in Wichita, and by the end of the war some 52,000 Kansans were building planes, including the B-17 bombers. Plants turned out 24,000 planes and aircraft factories employed a great number of women later known as "Rosie the Riveter."

On December 7, 1941, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and the United States entered into World War II by declaring war on the Japanese. At the end of 1941, the federal government announced plans to build several army bases, and the state of Kansas became a major training ground for air corps personnel. GI's from all over the nation became a part of communities like Garden City, Winfield, Pratt, Independence, and Liberal. Defense industries boomed and state officials worked to bring even more industry to Kansas.

The war boosted Kansas cheese production into the realm of big business. The Larned Kraft-Phenix cheese factory was producing 7,000 pounds of cheese per day in April, 1942.

In 1942 the Allies invaded North Africa.

First State Bank became a member of The Federal Reserve System on June 24, 1942. By becoming a member of the Federal Reserve System, First State Bank would be allowed to borrow money against their existing loans in case of an emergency situation and convert them into cash. This allowed the bank to give their depositors an added feeling of security.

Kansans were growing "Victory Gardens" in 1943. Victory gardens meant there would be a garden on every farm, and a home garden for every family in town. Community gardens were grown for school lunches. Rationing of food and sugar, clothing, tires, and gasoline were begun along with paper and scrap metal drives.

The Allies invaded in Italy, and the Germans surrendered at Stalingrad.

First State Bank amended their charter "that the number of directors be not less than five nor more than twenty-five in number" on January 1, 1943.

The Larned banks were selling the new $200 Victory Bonds which were used to help pay for hospital ships, planes, and supplies involved in the war.

On August 6, 1945, the United States dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima at 8:16 a.m. local time. 140,000 people were killed instantly and the city was destroyed. Japan surrendered to the United States.

The Kansas Association of Wheat Growers was organized in 1948.

BANK REMODELS

Remodeling on the interior of the First State Bank building at 5th and Broadway began on March 14, 1949. Hugh Shuss was the building contractor. The estimated cost of the remodeling and new enlarged quarters of the bank was $30,000. New vaults were installed by Diebold, Inc. of Canton, Ohio. The latest in banking equipment and design included the night depository for after banking hours, a new vault with row on row safety deposit boxes, and a big mirror that reflects the image of a customers as he walks in the front door. Mont Reed, President, had a private office, and there was a new directors room and work room. The Victorian exterior of the Bank was left unchanged.

"Recordak", an Eastman Kodak product, was installed which enabled the bank to keep a photographic record of every check paid against an account in the bank. The photographic record is made on film that looks like a miniature motion picture roll. A hundred feet of film contains photographs of 8,000 checks. Each roll is indexed for ready reference, and each days' photographs dated. When reproduced by the projector, the checks were enlarged to normal size. The formal opening of the new banking quarters was held on December 15, 1949. In 1900, when H.M. "Mont" Reed went to work for the bank its capital was $11,200.00. In forty-nine years the Capital had grown to $283,200.00.

The formal opening and dedication of the State Theatre's new building at 617 Broadway was held on April 6, 1949. Owners were Don E. Burnett and H. Leon Reed.

On October 3, 1949, the first Larnedite to pick up a telecast on his television set was Jim Adams.

1949-1959

In the 1950's the Ed Sullivan Show became the toast of the town as a "really big show".

Dedication and ceremonies for the formal opening of the St. Joseph Memorial Hospital were held on April 21 - 22, 1951. This fifty-two bed hospital was built at an approximate cost of $800,000.

Workmen put the finishing touches on Larned's R.V. Phinney School at 12th and Park Streets in August 1952. The school was built at a cost of $223,000 and was ready for the start of school on September 2.

The Korean War lasted from 1950 to 1953, and Dwight D. Eisenhower was inaugurated President in 1953.

Larned's population reached over 5,000 for the first time in its history in 1954. The population for the city of Larned was 5,098 and 9,605 Pawnee County.

The Financial Statement of First State Bank on
December 31,1951 read as follows:

ASSETS   LIABILITIES
Cash & Due from Banks $1,876,359.95   Deposits $5,517,198.49
U.S. Govt. & Muni Bonds $2,474,190.00   Capital Accounts
Loans $1,486,313.45   Capital $100,000.00
Buildings & Fixtures $5,000.00   Surplus $100,000.00
Other Assets $6,000.00   Undivided Profits $130,664.91
TOTAL $5,847,863.40   TOTAL $5,847,863.40

 

Board of Directors

K.H. Peters H.M. Reed H.L. Reed
Fred B. Reed Frances R. Peters  

H. LEON REED

H.L. Reed became the eighth President of First State Bank in 1951 and held that position through 1963.

He was born in Larned, Kansas, on July 20, 1890, the son of H.H. Reed. Upon attending Larned schools, he finished his education at Colorado College. In 1922, he married Mae Couchman of Garfield and they had two daughters: Mrs. Bill R. (JoAnn) Cole, and Mrs. Walter (Norma) Crawford.

He began working at First State Bank in 1912, and served 65 years with the bank until his death in 1977. He started at the bottom - collecting past due notes for businesses that had bank accounts. From January 10, 1951 to January 9, 1964, he served as President; and from January 9, 1964 until his death in 1977, he served as Chairman of the Board. H.L. Reed was director of First State Bank from 1932 to 1977.

H.L. Reed had a keen interest in what was going on in the community. He was a Legion of Honor member and a charter member of the Larned Kiwanis club. He also served as the financial advisor to Henry and J.D. Jordaan who left a nearly $2 million estate to Larned and Pawnee County.

For many years Mr. Reed gave away hundreds of autographed $1 bills during the Christmas season to friends and acquaintances.

The following is an article from the Wichita Eagle and Beacon dated Sunday, August 10, 1975, entitled Town Banks on 'Hopper,' epitomizes the spirit of H. L. Reed:

"LARNED, Kans. - They used to call H.L. Reed "Hopper" back in the 1900s when he hopped around the state on his Indian motorcycle. But most people here associate him with the First State Bank.

Reed, who has been with the bank for 63 years, said in an interview that people started calling him "Hopper" when he raced his motorcycle in Denver for the Indian motorcycle company. He said he was 18 when he rode his Indian from Larned to Denver on unpaved, rutted roads.

He gave up motorcycles a long time ago, but he stayed with the banking business and is Chairman of the Board of First State Bank.

He said he moved up the ladder to teller and then loan officer when the bank still kept accounts with pen and ink, red ink for the checks and black ink for the deposits. Reed said he had enjoyed watching his native town grow, although he was a little reluctant to discuss some of his contributions to that growth. Reed helped establish a fund that give 20 students $1,000, four-year college scholarship. He even helped lay out the first three holes of Larned's golf course. He also has been active in many civic organizations and was treasurer of the school board for many years.

"A banker ought to be of good character and have a good reputation in the community," he said. "Honesty, that's what you must have. People have to trust the bankers you know."

On May 17, 1954, the United State Supreme Court's decision on the case of Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka said that school segregation violated the constitution's guarantee of equal protection under the 14th Amendment.

By June 1959, the following people were the officers at First State Bank: H.M. Reed - chairman of the board, H.L. Reed - President, K.H. Peters - Vice President and Cashier, Nelle Shiplett, Assistant Cashier, and H.J. Harbert - Assistant Cashier.

The exterior of the bank building had remained unchanged since the time it had been built, but in 1959, the exterior was remodeled to give the building a more modern look.

In 1959, Castro became the leader of Cuba, and Alaska and Hawaii became states as part of the United States.

1959-1968

In 1959 the old building was given a new look and in 1962 the Motor Bank was added.

SECOND BANK CHARTER SIGNED

H. M. Reed, Chairman of the Board and past President of First State Bank, recorded a new charter for the bank dated January 6, 1958, at the register of deeds office in the county courthouse. The first charter for the bank was on June 25, 1896, with capitalization at $5,000. In 1900, the charter was amended and capitalization was increased to $10,000. The first charter was granted for a period of five years, but a change in the state banking laws extended the life of a charter to half a century. First State Bank's first 50-year charter was dated January 15, 1908, and it is signed by H.M. Reed, as secretary of the board. He was also the bank Cashier at that time. It isn't often that a banker signs one 50-year charter and records one for a second span of 50 years during his association with the financial institution, but that was the case with H.M. Reed.

On September 26 and 27, 1958 CBS held a "Return to the Santa Fe Trail" star press junket in Larned. A crowd estimated at 37,000 came for the event to see their favorite TV stars including James Arness, Amanda Blake, Milburn Stone, Robert Culp, David Janssen, Steve McQueen, Chill Wills, Linda Francis, and Johnny West.

In June of 1959, Fort Larned celebrated their Centennial with a pageant entitled "Along the Santa Fe Trail" which played to overflow crowds for three nights.

In 1961, John F. Kennedy was inaugurated as President. The Peace Corps was established and the Bay of Pigs invasion took place.

On May 15, 1961, a crowd estimated at 10,000 to 12,000 people lined Broadway and Main streets in Larned to view the Santa Fe Trail Caravan.

Fort Larned was dedicated as a National Landmark on June 18, 1961, with Governor John Anderson in attendance.

Larned's National Guard Armory at 14th & Toles was dedicated on December 10, 1961. The new armory was built at a cost of $140,000 on ground given to the city by Tera and Henry Jordaan. Two Bank people were key in this dedication. Glee Smith, Board Member, then a state senator and member of the Kansas Senate's military affairs committee, received the facility for the State. Kenneth Peters, a Colonel in the Kansas National Guard and Commander of the 130th Artillery Group introduced the guests.

In 1962, the Cuban Missile Crisis took place, and John Glenn circled the globe.

It was also in 1962 that First State Bank added the "First State Bank Motor Bank" drive up windows to their building. Built by Fraser and Gilbert of Larned, it was equipped by Diebold, Inc of Canton, Ohio. The drive-in entrance and exit were both on East Fifth Street. Along with the drive-up window was a walk-up window.

 

In 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, and Lyndon B. Johnson succeeded as President. The civil rights march was on in Washington and a uniform school district system was established in Kansas.

In 1964, Fort Larned became a national historic site in Kansas.

Customers of First State Bank and First National Bank both of Larned were asked to place their account numbers on their checks with the adoption of the number system and electronic computers in March of 1964.

KENNETH H. PETERS

The ninth President of First State Bank was Kenneth H. Peters. K.H. Peters had started at the bank in 1936, and he served as Vice-President and Cashier before being elected President in 1964. He also served as director of the bank from 1940 to 1968.

Born at Pawnee Rock on May 8, 1908. He attended Fort Hays State College after completing a high school education in Pawnee Rock. He began his banking career in Kansas City in 1929 with the Commerce Trust Company. He attended the American Institute of Banking courses and received the Standard Certificate in 1931.

Leaving Kansas City, after a short period with the Shawnee Investment Company, Topeka, in the real estate department, Peters returned to Larned and associated with the First State Bank.

Two years later, in 1934, he married Frances Reed, the daughter of H. M. Reed. They had three children, daughter Jean, son James, and son Reed.

Peters had an active military career and held the rank of Colonel in the National Guard and commanding officer of the 130th Artillery Group, headquartered in Hutchinson. His military career dated back to 1932, when he was commissioned a 2nd lieutenant in the National Guard. He was called to active duty in February, 1941, before Pearl Harbor. He attained the rank of major after service in Europe as executive officer of the 24th Tank Battalion. Upon return from duty in World War II in December 1945, he remained in the reserve and rejoined the National Guard. He was appointed to the Kansas Armory Board by Gov. John Anderson, Jr.

Peters was involved in community activity and civic development. He was President of the Larned Rotary Club, past President of the Community Development Corp. and of the Santa Fe Trail Highway Association. Treasurer of the Larned Chamber of Commerce and active in Boy Scouts. He was also very active in the Kansas Bankers Association and served as President of the organization in 1962. He was elected to of the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.

Kenneth H. Peters was known as the flying President of the Kansas Bankers Association, and he subscribed to the theory that the shortest distance between two points is by airplane. He earned his commercial pilot's license and kept it active.

In 1964, the following people were officers at First State Bank: H.L. Reed - Chairman of the Board, K.H. Peters - President, Glee S. Smith - Chairman of Trust Committee, Fred B. Reed - Vice President, Howard Harbert - Cashier and Secretary of the Board, Charles Eckert - Trust Officer and Ag Representative, Nelle Shiplett and Virginia Lupfer - Assistant Cashiers. The directors included H.L. Reed, K.H. Peters, Glee S. Smith, Jr., Walter Crawford, Frances R. Peters, Fred B. Reed, Howard Harbert, and Charles Eckert.

On December 21, 1964, First State Bank began their Employee Profit Sharing Trust managed by their trust department. In 1966, the bank did more remodeling to upgrade their services and added an addition for a director's room.

On June 13, 1968, Kenneth Huffman Peters, at the age of 60, died unexpectedly in Lawrence while addressing a Girls State group in the student union at the University.

In 1965, Lyndon Johnson was inaugurated to his first full term as President. He authorized the bombing of North Vietnam in 1965 while the first U.S. troops landed in South Vietnam.

The Kansas legislature laid out a foundation in 1965, for a statewide system of junior colleges. Four years after this the legislature provided for state aid to junior colleges and municipal universities. On July 1, 1964, the state acquired another college, Wichita University.

The Missouri-Pacific Railroad announced the closing of the Larned depot on July 24, 1965.

The Financial Statement of First State Bank on
December 30, 1967 read as follows:

ASSETS LIABILITIES
Cash & Due from Banks $1,436,240.77 Deposits $10,663,655.83
U.S. Govt. & Muni Bonds $5,338,373.67 Capital Accounts
Loans $4,930,845.06 Capital $100,000.00
Buildings & Fixtures $0.00 Surplus $500,000.00
Other Assets $56,856.36 Undivided Profits $498,660.03
TOTAL $11,762,315.86 TOTAL $11,762,315.86

Board of Directors

H.L. Reed Fred B. Reed K.H. Peters
Charles Eckert Walter Crawford Frances R. Peters
Glee S. Smith Marian R. Baird Howard Harbert